Surface: 40,77 Km2.
Altitude: 240 mts.
San Bartolome Coat of Arms
The old aborigine called it "Aldea de Ajei". The founder of the San Bartolome church was Don Cayetano Guerra Clavijo y Perdomo who, together with his brother, don Francisco Guerra Clavijo, First Mayor and Regent of Lanzarote, submit a request on the 20th of April of 1787 to begin the construction of the Parish of San Bartolome.
In 1925, the local press launches a protest movement against the Mayor of San Bartolome, Jose Cabrera Torres, who had locked up some detainees in a funeral parlour with the only company of a few coffins. The local government intervened and forbade such practices in the future. There was a very illustrious character at the time, Don Victor de San Martin; he was a priest who was elected Mayor in 1931, and it is said that, such was his vocation, that he couldn't afford even a pair of socks. Don Victor had very cordial relations with Don Miguel de Unamuno, who he met in Fuerteventura.
There is a sad story about another character called "El Turco" (The Turk) who was after a young innocent virgin, giving her all kinds of bracelets and some fabrics. Don Rocio was totally against this, but his intention of protecting the girl ended when El Turco cut his head off with a clean blow of an axe. After his escape, a line of seventy men, two abreast, combed the island to the south and found El Turco in Papagayo, searching for any a boat to Fuerteventura. After his capture he confessed everything.
At present San Bartolome is an enclave on a route called "La Ruta de las Arenas" (The Sand's Road). The blowing sand used to pass through this area but not anymore, at least not in the volume of old times, buildings and constructions impede its advance. The old traditions are kept alive in San Bartolome; there are also fields of sweet potatoes that give the local inhabitants their nickname: Los Batateros. (The sweet potato people).
There are several places to visit in San Bartolome, amongst them is the Monumento al Campesino.
Main holidays: Mat 24th. (Maria Auxiliadora, at Montaņa Blanca), June 13th. (San Antonio, at Guime) and August 24th. (San Bartolome).
Montaņa Blanca had only 14 residents when it was hit by the earthquakes of 1730-36. A Captain named don Melchor de Arbelo came to the rescue of the inhabitants and ordered a forced march towards the north of the island. As they fled, they could see their houses being buried under massive quantities of "lapilli", burning and smoking. When Montaņa Blanca was born again from under the ashes, the younger residents migrated to Venezuela, where they could make some money, and then return to work their lands and feed their families.
Album with photographs of old San Bartolome
Album with photographs of San Bartolome
Esta pagina ha sido realizada por Sarabel y Chino.
E-Mail: Sarabel y Chino
Colaborador Escudos municipios.E-Mail: j_paiz