Surface: 270,98 Km2.
Altitude: 192 mts.
Yaiza Coat of Arms
Around 1670 the construction of the church of Yaiza begins and it is finished in 1690, year in which Don Diego de Laguna starts the process of declaring it the Parish of Nuestra Señora de los Remedios.
Don Andrés Hernández Mauricio was a much-loved priest in Yaiza, and even today its inhabitants remember him with fondness. Don Andres owned only one cassock and it was a familiar sight to see him resting next to the umbra tree close to the church. He also had a donkey and, seeing them together, brought to mind the images of Juan Ramón and Platero. A woman by the name of Magdalena, owner of a rum and wine establishment, used to feed him and, in spite of the fact that he did not have a cent to his name, any time a coin came his way he would rush to the house of the most needy with it.
The Yaiza of today is a town of great beauty that has kept the tradition of its white and well groomed little houses. There, you can visit Las Montañas del Fuego (Timanfaya), el Lago Verde (Charco de los Clicos), Los Hervideros, la playa de Papagayo, Pto. Muelas, etc. (At present they are quite neglected and dirty due to massive tourism. We believe that cleanliness must start at home and we, the Conejeros (Lanzarote inhabitants) should not dirty our beaches in order for the visitors to follow our example and keep them clean) Main holidays are: July 7th. San Marcial del Rubicón (Patron Saint of the island) and September 8th. Fiesta de los Remedios.
This town is the site of a mountain peak with a crater in the shape of a perfect semi-cone, in which interior lies the Lago Verde or Charco de los Clicos, the latter being the old name given to it, and taken from a very eatable and delicious shellfish found in that location. The shellfish became extinct after Don Domingo Lorenzo Viera bought two turtles and, without a second thought, let them loose in the confined waters of El Golfo.
El Pais del Rubicon.-
The Torre (Tower) de las Coloradas was built between 1741 and 1742 by Commander General Don Antonio Benito Pignatelli and from it, Isla de los Lobos and Fuerteventura could be seen. On August 12th.1749 the Castle of las Coloradas was assaulted and burnt down by 400 Algerians who landed at the beach of Bocayna and made their way to Femes, a town inhabited by humble shepherds. Next day, a Franciscan Friar, at the head of a group of islanders, attacked the Algerians who lost 70 men and were forced to re-embark.
The town of Uga is on the ground under which lies the old Uga, buried under a sea of lava during the eruptions of 1730/36.
There is still a firm tradition of Canarian wrestling in Uga, where it is mandatory to remember the famous Pollo de Uga, Joaquin Rodriguez. He was the champion of Lanzarote and his style and sportsmanship made the sport spread throughout the island. In 1926 he remained unbeaten during his tour through the archipelago and, on September 19th.of the same year in Las Palmas, he defeats six wrestlers in the first round and two in the last. He had to withdraw afterwards due to a disabling injury in his right foot. In Tenerife he was left without opponents, none could match his skilled and artful wrestling.
La Geria de los Vinos.-
A huge sea of volcanic ashes covers this place, product of the eruptions of 1730/36. The smart Conejero farmers made the best of the conditions and transformed the area into a beautiful and fruitful place. The end result of their efforts was the world famous Malvasía wine. King Don Carlos III always ended his meals with a glass of Malvasía, and Russia's General Czar, Don Agustín Monteverde, used to order it from the frozen Russian tundra.
Album with old photographs of Yaiza
Album with photographs of Yaiza
Album with photographs of Yaiza (2)
Esta pagina ha sido realizada por Sarabel y Chino.
E-Mail: Sarabel y Chino
Colaborador Escudos municipios.E-Mail: j_paiz